Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » LDS Singles » YSA FHE Ideas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: YSA FHE Ideas
nadra24
Member # 364

- posted      Profile for nadra24   Email nadra24         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in charge of FHE for my singles ward next Monday. During the summer our whole ward meets together at a park, instead of breaking into smaller family groups. We're kind of tired of the ultimate frisbee/soccer/volleyball type of activities as we've been doing those all summer. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time coming up with something else to do, as I am generally not a fan of things like charades or skits or other games that involve drawing embarassing attention to yourself. What are some fun things you have done as large group activities? (we generally have about 20-30 people show up for these things)
Posts: 117 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcare
Member # 1460

- posted      Profile for Sarcare   Email Sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
You can do a service project--meet at the park and then divide into groups and go visit houses of elderly folks in the neighborhood and help them with yard work and simple house hold maintinance. I'm sure you can get names of people who could use help from one of the neighboring wards--they probably have equipment too.
You can do a scavenger hunt, or even a service scavenger hunt where you knock on doors to try to find people that you can help in certain ways. Like vaccum someone's floor, rake someone's lawn, wash someone's windows...
You can also break the larger group into smaller groups and play games, or other activities.

Posts: 1640 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abby76
Member # 1288

- posted      Profile for abby76   Email abby76         Edit/Delete Post 
I think one of the most fun activities we did was a video camera road ralley. This does require some planning because you need enough cameras to break down into groups that could fit into vehicles. The subgroup I was in had a van. We were not told ahead of time what our objective would be. Our particular rally involved going through the alphabet and getting something representative of the letters. For instance, for "G" we did a gutter ball. I am sure there are interesting variations that one could do for different scavenger hunts.

Whatever you do, have fun!
[The Wave] [Party] [Party]

Posts: 3434 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Curelom   Email Curelom         Edit/Delete Post 
Service activities are great. But beware of giving anyone a heart attack by knocking on the door & offering to rake their leaves or wash their windows!

Sadly, in much of the U.S. at least, people have become suspicious of their neighbors or strangers (who are often one & the same). Many people don't answer the door after daylight, & folks are leery of anyone who wants to do a good deed for no apparent reward. Remember the case last year when two teenagers went to people's doors to give them cookies, & one woman (she wasn't even old; she was 49) got an anxiety attack, went to the hospital, & later sued the girls?

Are you near a retirement home, orphanage, or similar institution where people don't get out & would like some entertainment & company (& maybe some home-made cookies)? Give them a call & see if you can come over. If you have too many people for one home or hospital, pick more than one place to visit. Tell them this is a FHE & you'd like to include their residents in your family for the evening. [Smile]

Posts: 14394 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abby76
Member # 1288

- posted      Profile for abby76   Email abby76         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a basement to our institute building that was ideal for this activity. A gym would work well too, but I do not think those are usually available on Monday night.

Basically, you take newspaper and form them into hockey sticks and then tape together. I forget what they used for a puck. I suppose you could use a newpaper one too.

A really fun group activity is capture the flag. I am not sure of the exact rules. I remember a goal of capturing a flag and the fact that I think I was in "prison" in short order. We played at a park that had a curfew for minors. An pollice officer came to check us out. I advocate obeying the law for your FHE activities lol. [Big laugh]

[ August 18, 2005, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: abby76 ]

Posts: 3434 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giddonah
Member # 1119

- posted      Profile for giddonah   Email giddonah         Edit/Delete Post 
we talked a bit about activities a while ago:

http://www.nauvoo.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=000099

(that saves me from retyping my activity [Wink] )

[ August 18, 2005, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: giddonah ]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nadra24
Member # 364

Thanks giddonah...not sure how I missed that post! Good ideas, all. I will have to keep them in mind for future activites. I like the snowball fight idea a lot! I also think that a video rally would be fun, but I will probably use digital cameras instead, since most people I know have one of those, but video cameras are a little harder to come by. Keep the ideas coming!
Posts: 117 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katharina
Member # 772

- posted      Profile for Katharina   Email Katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
We played Quidditch. It's great because it is not a game that one or two people can star in - there are so many roles, everyone can find one they are comfortable with. If you use water balloons for the bludgers, it turns into a controlled water fight. Best group game ever.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattai
Member # 1238

- posted      Profile for Mattai   Email Mattai         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have to meet at the same park every week?
What about mixing the type of activites up? Perhaps there's a movie night. A service project night. A speed dating night. How about going to a local sporting event? Or go to a musuem or other cultural place worth checking out? Or actually have an "old-school" FHE with a revelant-to- singles lesson. Or Bonfires by the beach, lake, or wherever and have smores. Or how about a low-key no-pressure talent show?

The point is the keep the crowd guessing and excited.

Posts: 2308 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nadra24
Member # 364

Yes, we are at the park every week during the summer because there are so many people coming and going that we need the consistency of meeting in the same place every week. Our ward typically doubles in size in the summer, because kids come home from BYU to their parent's houses, and a lot of students come to the Bay Area to sell pest control or alarm systems. Lots of people come to church or to the activities that don't have their records in the ward. We don't have smaller family groups like we do for the rest of the year, because it is impossible to keep track of everyone. Hence the large group activities at the park.

I ended up playing a version of giddonah's "I Never" game that he mentioned in the other thread. I thought it went pretty well.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page